Effect of Foreign Pension on Spousal Benefit
- Eligible for Social Security (SS) based on my work record
- Eligible for Canada Pension Plan (CPP) based on my work record
- Eligible for a Canadian defined benefit (DB) pension based on my work record
- Eligible for CPP based on her work record
- Eligible for SS spousal benefit based on my work record
I am planning to set up the CPP pensions and my Canadian DB pension as non-covered pensions in ESPlanner. My understanding is my SS benefit (and accordingly my wife's SS spousal benefit) will be reduced by the WEP. I also understand that the GPO will not apply to my wife's SS spousal benefit when she receives her CPP benefit since CPP is a foreign pension. Can I set up the CPP pensions and my DB pension in ESPlanner to be subject to WEP but not GPO?